Friday 11 February 2011

iThrowBack... Ice Prince + WizKid + Jesse Jagz - Talking The Hardest (2008 Freestyle)


So I was listening to Ice Prince's breakthrough single 'Oleku' the other day and I remember thinking that he actually had some dope lyrics and punchlines on that song even though a lot of people claim that he "dumbed it down" and so I went home and roamed through my laptop to find this here gem of a track... Listen to this rarity and get your download on after the jump!



This 2008 freestyle was the first time I heard any of the three Nigerian rappers (Ice Prince is joined by WizKid and Jesse Jagz over UK rapper Gigg's cult classic 'Talking The Hardest') and I didn't really like it back then because there was this other 'Nigerian' version featuring Othello, M.I and Kel that was more for that time and we absolutely shut down the internet with that one. That version largely broke M.I as an artist to an audience outside of Nigera (but that's another story)

Something has got to be said about the uber-talented A&R and Artist Manager Osagie Osarenkhoe (M.et.al Entertainment) because her eye and ear for talent is unbelievable! I sent her this Giggs instrumental back in 2008 not really knowing what to expect back - The Othello, M.I and Kel version was the first one she sent back and I remember everyone on popular Facebook group 'Hip-Hop Lovers For Life' where it first premiered and the larger internet landscape subsequently going APE S**T for the song and Kel's punchlines especially (Remember the "Croc Boots" line?) - Nobody could believe these rappers were Nigerian but I digress!


The second version (the one you just heard) wasn't even supposed to be made but Osagie had the onus to get these three 'nobodies' albeit talented 'nobodies' but still 'nobodies' to put this raw freestyle together - It not only showed what these guys were capable of once given a chance but it was a launching pad for these kids to be where and what they are now - Three of the BIGGEST New Nigerian artists for 2011 and in recent times and two of them do not even have an album out yet... CLAP for her!

Oh Jesse Jagz takes it by the way but WizKid's flow on this is ridiculous!

No comments:

Post a Comment