Friday 9 April 2010

iRate... Benin City - The Invisible Cake EP



OK Erm I have been sitting on this 'Invisible Cake' EP from Benin City for a good few weeks now and I really CANNOT keep it to myself any more so while this may not be the full-length EP review as I'd have liked to bring you, this little expose does seem apt...

First of all, let me introduce you to Benin City although for some of you, no introduction is even necessary BUT alas... So who are Benin City? Benin City are an ecclectic 5-Piece Band consisting of two amazing spoken-word artists Joshua Idehen & Musa Okwonga (Nigeria STAND Up) + a trio of a saxophonist, bass-guitar player & drummer that apparently sound like a mash-up between Outkast & James Brown... We do have some music for you to vibe with right after the JUMP...


I have often heard and read over the course of the year the phrase '2010 is #theyearofthepoet' and after listening to that record for like a million times over the past few weeks, I am starting to believe that phrase. I hate to describe spoken word because I don't feel there is anything to add, I don't believe there are any words that could be added to a piece as beautiful as the one we just heard... It's titled 'The Flight' and it is off of their new EP 'The Invisible Cake' that was released earlier on Monday, which I implore to BUY here! & as if you needed any more convincing, here's the first single off of their EP...


This record right here speaks best about who Benin City are... Such Freedom or shall I say Abandon (but in a totally great way), Such Musical Accentuation (Afro-Beat, Jazz, Hip-Hop??? It's ALL there) + the Essence of the Spoken Word shines through more than anything (they are after all a Spoken-Word Band) & may I just add that the story telling on this record is so real, so true, it's priceless... I can so picture my Grand-mother giving me grief in the exact same way - "Dont Lose Yourself, Don't Waste Your Life!" - Classic lol! 

OK I intended for this to be a quick little piece for you to know about Benin City & to GO get their E.P but s**t their Music just takes me... 


Until the Next Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment